Monday, August 18, 2014

Dance Like the Stars

In April, I was asked to volunteer with the Boys and Girls Club.  I never say no, so I said sure.  I was thinking it was a bake sale/summer camp kinda gig.  It was not, in any way, shape, or form one of those.  I agreed and signed a contract stating that this volunteering would be in the form of fundraising and dancing.  In April I signed on the dotted line to raise $7,500 and go to 25 professionally led ballroom dance lessons.  At the completion of these lessons I would perform at the Dance Like the Stars Event and that I would make all public appearances needed to publicize the event.  
In May I began fundraising, and I will say I didn't give it my all.  I took a day off work, but when it comes down to it, fundraising isn't fun.  Its hard and people say no, or come back later, or just give you the run around.  By June I had raised just over $5,000.  I prayed to meet my contractual goal and went on about my summer of work, summer school, and dance practices.  The third week of July I got a text from the event coordinator urging me to really get after my fundraising so I could be proud of my effort.  I was not happy.  I wasn't having fun anymore and the three days of vacation I took, were spent stuffing envelopes.  
Now in the midst of the fundraising heck I had gotten myself into, it was getting to be just about the time for dance lesson critiques by none other than Ms. Rubye Del, the owner of the studio.  Yeah those started out as fun, the first time it was no biggie, the second time the nicest thing she had to say was my shoes looked good on my feet, and by the third time it was almost over so it was just small adjustments. So just as school was starting lessons went to the three nights a week, Cullen was over Daddy Daycare and my inlaws I'm sure were feeling super abused by how much they were helping out.  Add in Jett coming down with Hand Foot Mouth the week of the event, and wow I was almost at my limit.  
The week of practices, rehersals, and the day of was only possible by me having a dream team of support.  No lie, my mom watched Jett when he was sick, Cullen's grandmother came through so we could both work.  The weekend of the event, Jett went through some sitters.  My sweet friend Ms. Pam applied my tan, the hair and makeup gals did a fantastic job, and my little cousins came through in a big way for teenagers.  
It was my Uncle Wayne's birthday, and he was a good sport about spending it at a ballroom dancing competition.  I had more supporters than I expected.  I tried to make a list after the fact and think I counted about 80 people there to cheer me on.

















I was never more glad for it to be over, but woke up kinda missing having a schedule on Sunday morning.  I raised 22,222.22 for the Oxford Boys and Girls Club.  I learned to Cha Cha and I never want to hear My Love by Justin Timberlake again.  My sweet dance partner was precious, he was a 21 year old State fan.  He was more excited for school to start back I think than for the event.  

1 comment:

Lauren said...

You did a great job and looked BEAUTIFUL! I'm proud of you, Miss!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers